The Dickens Newsletter, Melbourne, founded in October 1982, is published monthly except in January.
It is completely funded by the generous bequest of Mr Ormond Butler, a long-standing and passionate member of the MDF until his death in 2012.
The hard copy of all issues from 1982-2018 is available for viewing in the State Library of Victoria.
The Newsletter Archive, beginning in 2019, is available to members:
- in hard copy at the monthly meetings (optional gold coin donation to our chosen charity)
- electronically via email
- via password protected links on our website
The password is issued when you join or renew membership (1st September to 31st August the following year).
Submissions are encouraged and due by:
- the third Wednesday of January (for the February issue)
- the first Wednesdays of March to November (for the March to November issues)
- the last Wednesday of November (for the December issue)
People are encouraged to submit material for our newsletter with the following in mind:
- Articles should be less than 1500 words, exclusive of notes.This is negotiable, dependent upon space and quality.
- Illustrations are welcome for articles and other fellowship matters.
- If illustrations are to be included they should be sent as separate files and the author should indicate where they would like them to be placed.
- Please give them full captions indicating the artist especially.
- Photos or scanned pictures should be supplied at a minimum 300 dpi resolution.
- Contributors should ensure they have permission to reproduce any such illustrations for publication.
- We use Pages on a Mac to produce the newsletter.
- Our chosen font is Georgia 12 but you may submit anything comprehensible by Microsoft Word or Apple.
- Paragraphs should be separated by a line space, do not indent.
- Single quotation marks should be used, with double for quotations within quotations.
- At the end of a sentence the full stop should be followed by a single space.
- No full stop should follow abbreviations such as ‘Mr’ or ‘Dr’.
- The possessive ‘s’ is added to ‘Dickens’ (i.e. Dickens’s) and to similar proper names ending with an ’s’.
- Dates should give Day followed by Month followed by Year (e.g. 7 February 1812).
For all enquiries contact the Newsletter Editor